[Corpora-List] converting PDFs to ASCII or text-only files without clumps

Ute Römer uroemer at umich.edu
Wed Jun 16 14:07:08 UTC 2010

John,

A tool we found useful in the compilation of MICUSP
(http://micusp.elicorpora.info/) is PDF to Word (http://www.pdftoword.com/),
a free online tool that turns pdfs into doc or rtf files. We used this tool
for files that Adobe Reader couldn’t convert, for example if they were
password protected. You would then still have to open the output files in
Word and save them as text from there. For our purposes, going via Word
rather than straight to txt was the preferred option --- that way you get an
editable version of the text that is quite close to the original (including
figures, tables, etc) which makes it easier to insert gap tags or line
breaks in the right places.

Best of luck with the project!

Ute

Just launched: MICUSP Simple -- free search/browse interface to the Michigan
Corpus of Upper-level Student Papers (829 papers, around 2.6 million words):

 <http://search-micusp.elicorpora.info/simple/>
http://search-micusp.elicorpora.info/simple/

Dr. Ute Römer

Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit

English Language Institute

University of Michigan

Email:  <mailto:uroemer at umich.edu> uroemer at umich.edu

Fax: +1 734 763 0369