[Corpora-List] Senior Research Fellow, LEEDS University UK

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 22:44:32 UTC 2010

University of Leeds - Faculty of Engineering - School of Computing
I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems

  Senior Research Fellow (Job reference: 319001)
  (Full Time, Fixed Term 24 months from September 2010)

We are seeking a Senior Research Fellow with a PhD in text analytics or
applied NLP to complete research within I-AIBS on text analysis for
detecting terrorist activities, to fulfil the Leeds contribution to
EPSRC/ESRC/CPNI-funded 2.2M-pound research project IDEAS Factory -
Detecting Terrorist Activities: Making Sense.

The project goal is to develop systems to better manage the huge amounts
of data collected in connection with alleged terrorist plots. They say
it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. We prefer the
analogy of looking for threads in a haystack - things connecting things
that we might not have seen before. We will need to extract the gist of
the information - a process of abstraction which might, for example,
summarise a phone-tap transcript by the caller phone number, the phone
number of the recipient, its duration, key words and phrases which stand
out as most significant, and potentially suspicious words and phrases.
Detecting terrorist activities makes use of research in Corpus
Linguistics, Natural Language Processing and Artificial Intelligence and
Text Analytics; building on research in other NLP applications which use
related underlying models and techniques, including: bootstrapping
linguistic knowledge, resources and concepts from English text; text
analytics; detecting hidden meanings in text; social and cultural text
mining; detecting non-standard language variation; detecting hidden
errors in text; plagiarism detection. For further information about the
project please visit the following website:
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric

It is likely that an appointment will be made at or below £40,119 p.a.

Apply using:  Application form, CV and Equal Opportunities Monitoring
form;  Download an application form:
http://hr.leeds.ac.uk/jobs/ViewJob.aspx?search=engineering&JId=1250

   Informal enquiries:
Dr Eric Atwell, tel +44 (0)11334 35761, email e.s.atwell at leeds.ac.uk

Send completed applications to:

Judi Drew email j.a.drew at leeds.ac.uk, or by post to:

Judi Drew
School of Computing
Leeds University
Leeds
LS2 9JT

Closing date: 01 July 2010

--
Eric Atwell,
  Senior Lecturer, Language research group, School of Computing,