[Corpora-List] Named Entity Recognition Software

David L. Hoover david.hoover at nyu.edu
Wed Jun 23 15:29:43 UTC 2010

Hello all,

Apologies if this is a much answered question, but I am working on a
project that studies the use of names in literary texts, primarily place
names and person names, but also other names. The only named entity
recognition software I have tried is hopelessly inaccurate, with a
failure rate of more than 30%. At this rate, it is quicker and more
accurate to tag the text manually.

What NER software do you all know of that is considered to be the most
accurate? And roughly what accuracy level could be expected on literary
texts (say, 20th century British and American novels)?

Thanks,
David

--
          David L. Hoover, Professor of English, NYU
       212-998-8832       https://files.nyu.edu/dh3/public/

"People like making sense. They like other things, too,
sometimes more than they like making sense. The history of
literary studies over the past thirty years or so has given ample
illustrations of the kinds of things literary academics often
prefer to making sense." Joseph Carroll,  Style 42.2-3