[Corpora-List] Named Entity Recognition Software

Diana Maynard d.maynard at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 09:18:45 UTC 2010

It would be helpful to know which system you've tried.....

Do be aware that most NE systems are going to need some kind of training
or at least tweaking on different kinds of texts - at least if you want
to get decent results. Literary texts tend to be a little different from
news texts for the purposes of NER. So it's unrealistic to expect the
advertised SOA 90%-ish accuracy with any system off the shelf on your texts.

You could try GATE (http://gate.ac.uk) which is freely available and
comes with a large number of resources which you can mix and match or
modify as you want, if you don't like the default NE system (ANNIE) that
it comes with.

Diana