[Corpora-List] Algorithm for hypernym chaining?

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Jun 26 01:32:21 UTC 2010

On 6/25/2010 9:41 AM, Adam Funk wrote:
> I have a file of pairs of WordNet synset numbers that
> represent hypernym-hyponym pairs, for example...

You might consider the algorithms for Formal Concept Analysis (FCA).
Following is a paper that applies FCA for constructing lattices of
hypernyms and hyponyms from WordNet, Roget's Thesaurus, and other
lexical resources:

    Priss, Uta; Old, L. John. "Modelling Lexical Databases with
    Formal Concept Analysis." Journal of Universal Computer Science,
    Vol 10, 8, 2004, pp. 967-984.
    http://www.upriss.org.uk/papers/jucs04.pdf

The authors have a web site for Roget's Thesaurus that lets you
type any word and get a little lattice of all the paths from the
top to that word:

    http://www.ketlab.org.uk/roget.html

Type any word in the slot, click submit, and a little lattice pops up.
The default word is 'explore'.  Another interesting word is 'happy'.

The authors also applied FCA to WordNet.  For more information,
contact the first author (see the cc list above).

John Sowa