[Corpora-List] Help in Applying Appropriate Statistical Test and Its Interpretation

Rob Malouf rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Jun 29 18:25:47 UTC 2010

The problem isn't the interpretation of p-values.  It's that corpus data often wildly violates the assumptions underlying the chi-square statistic, making the p-values meaningless. This is especially true when you're comparing really big counts with really small counts, which is I think what Adam's rule of thumb is meant to address.  Once you've decided that applying the chi-square test even makes sense, then questions like significance levels and Bonferroni corrections come into play.

In this particular case, even if the chi-square test is appropriate, it's probably not going to be very informative.  Something like a GLM is going to be a better bet for telling you what the patterns are (see Baayen's excellent recent textbook for background or the Bresnan et al. papers for an example of an application to similar data).

--
Rob Malouf <rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu>
Department of Linguistics and Asian / Middle Eastern Languages