[Corpora-List] Phonetic corpora as a tool for language classification.

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Wed Mar 17 19:40:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:

> Dear corpora colleagues, I am for some ten years on the Corpora list, but I
> do not remember that we discussed the possibility to use phonetic corpora
> for language classification.

 	I believe I asked you recently how those "phonetic corpora" were
obtained.  Are they all recorded speech?  Are they spontaneous?  Are they
transcribed?  What situations were the various texts spoken in?

 	Sure you might be able to use these corpora for classification -
if they are representative and reliable.

 					-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
 					grvsmth at panix.com