[Corpora-List] Web as Corpus workshop at NAACL-HLT: Programme and Call for Participation

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sun May 16 14:56:48 UTC 2010

 6th Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC-6)  Call For Participation

To be held in association with  NAACL-HLT <http://naaclhlt2010.isi.edu/> in
Los Angeles

Morning of Saturday 5th June 2010
Invited Speaker:  Patrick Pantel <http://www.patrickpantel.com/>, ISI,
University of Southern California

More and more people are using Web data for linguistic and NLP research. The
workshop, the sixth in an annual series, provides a venue for exploring how
we can use it effectively and what we will find if we do.

*Program*

 *Session 1:* 8:30Start, introduction 8:40*NoWaC: a large web-based corpus
for Norwegian*
Emiliano Raul Guevara 9:05 *Building a Korean Web Corpus for Analyzing
Learner Language*
Markus Dickinson, Ross Israel and Sun-Hee Lee 9:30Invited talk by Patrick
Pantel 10:30Coffee break  *Session 2:* 11:00*Sketching Techniques for Large
Scale NLP*
Amit Goyal, Jagadeesh Jagaralamudi, Hal Daumé III and Suresh
Venkatasubramanian 11:25 *Building Webcorpora of Academic Prose with BootCaT
*
George Dillon 11:50*Google Web 1T 5-Grams Made Easy (but not for the
computer)*
Stefan Evert 12:15 Closing session

Previous WAC workshops have been in Europe and Africa. The west coast of the
US is the global centre for web development, hosting Google, Microsoft,
Yahoo and a thousand others, so we are looking forward to visiting!

Organising committee<http://www.sigwac.org.uk/wiki/WAC6#Organisingcommittee>

   - Adam Kilgarriff (Lexical Computing Ltd., Workshop Chair)
   - Dekang Lin (Google Inc)
   - Serge Sharoff (University of Leeds, SIGWAC Chair)

Programme committee <http://www.sigwac.org.uk/wiki/WAC6#Programmecommittee>

Organising committee plus:

   - Silvia Bernardini, U of Bologna, Italy
   - Stefan Evert, U of Osnabrück, Germany
   - Cédrick Fairon, UCLouvain, Belgium
   - William H. Fletcher, U.S. Naval Academy, USA
   - Gregory Grefenstette, Exalead, France
   - Igor Leturia, Elhuyar Fundazioa, Basque Country, Spain
   - Jan Pomikalek. Masaryk Univ, Czech Republic
   - Preslav Nakov, National U of Singapore
   - Kevin Scannell, Saint Louis U, USA
   - Gilles-Maurice de Schryver, U Gent, Belgium

Adam Kilgarriff
http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk
Lexical Computing Ltd                   http://www.sketchengine.co.uk
Lexicography MasterClass Ltd      http://www.lexmasterclass.com