[Corpora-List] RE : Annotation layers: missing reference

amsler at cs.utexas.edu amsler at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Nov 21 12:20:36 UTC 2010

However, corpora were well established as the basis for lexicography
in the US by the 1970s with books such as the American Heritage Word
Frequency Book serving as the basis for the "American Heritage
Dictionary of the English Language" (Houghton MIfflin Co, 1969) (see
foreword essay of the dictonary by Henry Kucera on "Computers in
Language Analysis and in Lexicography"). This of course followed his
significant "Computational Analysis of Present-Day American English"
(Kucera & Francis, Brown U. Press, 1967).

Just out of curiosity, what were the discoveries about grammar and
linguistics that have come from corpora that were not marketed in the
US before 1970? Or is this just a philosophical attitude?  Note: I'm
not taking sides here, I just don't know what grammatical/linguistic
rules came from corpora studies that linguists were ignoring in the US
before 1970.