[Corpora-List] Language Acquisition

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Fri Dec 2 03:51:18 UTC 2011

Dear David,

You wrote:

Maybe there will be a day when AI's rational
agents can feel peer pressure, can feel 'face' and
loss of 'face', the urge to be a member of a
social group, a day when an AI rational agent
draws its very identity from the 'culture' it
'belongs to', (or, for that matter, can feel an
identity of any sort) and can 'feel' the high
'personal' (robotic?) stakes of stepping out of
that cultural identity to risk entry into a
different one, risk being rejected, experience
being excluded or admitted to that 'speech
community' based on ones competence in using
another language. (To me, these human attributes
are central rather than peripheral to explanations
of (2nd) language learning.) When that day comes,
when AI's rational agents can be designed with
those attributes, then I'll be the first to want
them in my R&D team developing language learning
technologies. Until then, where are the
anthropologists (and where are the....(fill in the
blank; who else do we need to join in our
efforts?)!

Your point is well taken; that embedded, situated,
rational agent could learn a language (English?)
and then copies of the program and its learned
data and processes could be made.  That would
create ubiquitous agents for every conceivable
task that requires English and can fit within the
bounds of what was first learned.  The first agent
so constructed might have limited capability in
vocabulary, syntax, semantics, and practical uses.

The ability to "feel" as you put it could be
simulated using theories drawn from psychological
and sociological research information.

The ability to acquire new words, syntax and
semantics would likely follow in the third tier of
agents, at least to a practical and pragmatic
extent needed to build a tier of learning agent
copies.

Your insights as a language teacher are very
useful, and certainly aren't well represented in
current or past linguistics research, at least as
I am aware of.

Thanks,

-Rich

Sincerely,