[Corpora-List] Why some languages has complex morphology meanwhile other not?

Majid Laali mjlaali at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:52:05 UTC 2011

Dear Corpora List,

I am working on developing an stemmer/lemmatization system for Persian. However, I am curious to know why some languages like Persian, Turkish, Chinese have complex morphology system, meanwhile other languages like English have much more simpler morphology system. In other hand, is there any criteria caused such difference like their historical change, their lexicon properties, or their type (Indo-European, or more specific type like Romance)?

I do not have good linguistic background, so I would be grateful if anyone provide me with some material related to this issue too.

Regards,
Majid Laali,
Natural Language and text Processing Laboratory(http://ece.ut.ac.ir/NLP),
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
College of Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
m.laali at ut.ac.ir