[Corpora-List] BNC-XML vs. Wordsmith

Nancy Ide ide at cs.vassar.edu
Fri Dec 16 16:24:46 UTC 2011

For your information, the Open American National Corpus (OANC) provides a tool to produce a version of our corpus (currently 15 million words, but soon to grow much larger) suitable for use in Wordsmith, MonoConc, and other concordancing software. The tool can also convert the OANC to a format for use in BNC XAIRA, as well as several other tools and frameworks. The tool is available at http://www.anc.org/tools/index.html#anc-tool

We also plan to allow for download of the OANC in the Wordsmith/MonoConc format in the near future, so that it would not be necessary to apply the tool yourself.