[Corpora-List] EmoText - Software for opinion mining and lexical affect sensing

Justin Washtell lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Dec 16 19:24:08 UTC 2011

"I would be very sad if this movie did not win a prize."					high_neg
"I'm very happy that the other reviewers have seen this movie for what it is: rubbish."		high_pos

Rather than (unfairly) singling out this system, I think these examples serve to highlight that this is a very difficult (if not impossibly ill-defined) problem. One cannot just assess the polarity of a statement - one needs to know something about what the object of interest is. In the above cases we are probably interested in [the writer's opinion of] the movie... but that fact is of course *pragmatic* information.

I'm out of my depth now, so I'll say no more :-) No doubt much has been written on these issues.

Justin Washtell
University of Leeds