[Corpora-List] Faster tool for WordNet Similarity measures

Suzan Verberne s.verberne at let.ru.nl
Tue Feb 1 09:25:23 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have previously been using Pedersen's WordNet Similarity module (
http://search.cpan.org/dist/WordNet-Similarity/lib/WordNet/Similarity.pm
) for calculating the similarity or relatedness between pairs of
words. Now I started to use it again but I noticed that it is way too
slow for a real-time application (which is what I need now).

I originally wrote a simple Perl script that calls the module (shown
below) but it takes almost five seconds to run. Almost all this time
is spent on calling the module so for batch scripts it is fine (then
the module is only called once for multiple requests), but I need it
to work in real time in a retrieval experiment and then 5 seconds is
too long.

Does anyone know an alternative (fast!) tool for calculating
Similarity and/or Relatedness between two words? It might be using
either a Wu & Palmer-like measure or a Lesk-type measure.

Thanks!
Suzan Verberne

#! /usr/bin/perl
  use WordNet::QueryData;
  use WordNet::Similarity::path;
  my $wn = WordNet::QueryData->new;
  my $measure = WordNet::Similarity::path->new ($wn);
  my $value = $measure->getRelatedness("car#n#1", "bus#n#2");
  print "car (sense 1) <-> bus (sense 2) = $value\n";

--
Suzan Verberne, postdoctoral researcher
Centre for Language and Speech Technology
Email: s.verberne at let.ru.nl
http://lands.let.ru.nl/~sverbern/