[Corpora-List] Faster tool for WordNet Similarity measures

Mark Sammons mssammon at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 1 21:28:22 UTC 2011

Hi, Suzan.

If what you are after is just a similarity score, you could
try the Cognitive Computation Group's WordNet-based similarity metric,
written in c++ and -- anecdotally -- pretty fast.

It runs as an xmlrpc service, which imposes a certain network latency
overhead, *but* is language neutral, which is one appealing feature.  Within
our research group, many users call it and cache the response to reduce
processing time still further.  If you are coding in c++, then you could of course
call WNSim directly.

We've used WNSim in a number of research projects, including our work on
Recognizing Textual Entailment and on Distant Supervision.  Here's the page for
the WNSim code:

http://cogcomptest.cs.illinois.edu/page/software_view/21

There's also a link to a technical report that describes the underlying methodology.

You can take a look at the output using the demo here:

http://cogcomp.cs.illinois.edu/demo/wnsim/

Regards,

Mark