[Corpora-List] lexical semantics and alchemy

Justin Washtell lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 12:07:45 UTC 2011

I have a friend who used to habitually use the word "fully" as an affirmative (where the ever-so-slightly less trendy of us would say "totally"... as in "yeah, totally man").
Many of the folks I've met in Northampton use "bare" as a superlative adverb: "that gig was bare good", and even "there was bare [lots of] folks there". I'm not sure whether it derives from the adverb "barely", or the adjective "bare" (both of which almost seem at odds with the sense on some level). At any rate, it seems to fit once you've heard it a few times... as these things always do :-)
With respect to compounds I guess the observation here is that these uses can actually be very productive colloquially, but to an outsider stumbling across a handful of the more common uses, say "bare good", they might look distinctly idiomatic.

Were I not sufficiently immersed in the local language, even as a human, then I could not be expected to know these usages. Data sparseness would therefore seem to be the major bottleneck for any computational approach, whatever model/algorithm one adopts. Also, knowing the etymology does not seem necessary or useful in these cases. I expect that few of the people who use these terms know or care how they came about, yet they are intimately familiar with their usage and meaning - and with that they are perfectly versed to write a dictionary, to identify whether they are idiomatic, etc.

Justin Washtell
University of Leeds