[Corpora-List] Do we still need language corpora?

silvia bernardini silvia at sslmit.unibo.it
Fri Feb 4 10:10:57 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I had originally sent this to Martin only, but he suggested it might be
relevant to spark discussion on the list in preparation for the debate
at ICAME.

So here is a link to the slides of a talk entitled "Do we still need
corpora (now that we have the Web)?" that I gave at the 2008 Aston
Postgraduate Conference on Corpus Linguistics:

http://acorn.aston.ac.uk/conf_proceedings.html
(top of the page)

It is clearly dated and rather partial as it mirrors my own interests in
corpus building and using for/with translators and students of
translation, but hopefully some ideas in there are still valid - and the
coincidence with the titles was too striking to let it pass by...

hth,

silvia bernardini

---
School for Interpreters and Translators