[Corpora-List] Faster tool for WordNet Similarity measures

Suzan Verberne s.verberne at let.ru.nl
Tue Feb 8 16:26:49 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I got a number of responses to my question below.
Thanks to Matthew Gerber, Biddharth Patwardhan, Ted Pedersen, Mark
Sammons, Eneko Agire, Alistair Kennedy and Hagen Fürstenau for their
elaborate answers.

It seems that the only way to use WordNet Similarity in a realtime
application (for example for processing queries), is to run it as a
server (Pedersen's similarity_server.pl or Sammons' xmlrpc service) so
that it does not need to initiate for each new query. If I
misunderstood any of you, I am sorry!

For now, I decided not to use it realtime but pre-calculate the
similarity scores for the word pairs in my data collection, as I did
before (I wanted to do something realtime but changed my mind after
reading all your tips and trying out a few things).

Best regards,
Suzan

--
Suzan Verberne, postdoctoral researcher
Centre for Language and Speech Technology
Email: s.verberne at let.ru.nl
http://lands.let.ru.nl/~sverbern/