[Corpora-List] META-NET - Help to forge a multilingual European information society

Paul Thompson paul.thompson at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 12:00:10 UTC 2011

META-NET (http://www.meta-net.eu/) aims to build the technological
foundations of a multilingual European information society.

In order to make this a success this, we need the support and
participation of the Language Technology (LT) community.

By joining the Multilingual European Technology Alliance (META), you can
play a part in this exciting initiative, which aims to bring about a
large-scale increase in funding for Language Technology Research on the
national and international level.

META-NET is a Network of Excellence aiming to forging the Multilingual
Europe Technology Alliance. It has three main lines of action:

1. META-VISION: Building a community with a shared vision and strategic
research agenda for Europe's Language Technology landscape. The agenda
will contain high level recommendations, ideas for visionary LT-based
applications and suggestions for joint actions to be presented to the EC
and national as well as regional bodies.

2. META-SHARE:  A sustainable network of repositories of language data,
tools and related web services documented with high-quality metadata,
aggregated in central inventories allowing for uniform search and access
to resources. Data and tools can be both open and with restricted access
rights, free and for-a-fee.

3. META-RESEARCH: Building bridges to neighbouring technology fields.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
----------------

1) The vision-building process which will be used to shape the strategic
research agenda is currently ongoing. The opinions, ideas and visions of
all members of the  LT community are important to this process, and we
encourage you to contribute to the discussion which is taking place on
the META-NET forum (http://www.meta-net.eu/forum)

2) The more support and interest we have from the LT community, the more
successful META-NET can be. Please show your support for the goals of
our initiative by joining META
(http://www.meta-net.eu/participation/join-forms/organisation-form).
META already consists of over 40 member institutions in over 30
countries.  By joining the alliance, we will be able to reach you more
directly with relevant news and developments, and to seek your input on
matters affecting the broader LT community. In the future, you will be
able to make your data and tools available via META-SHARE.

Please act now by joining META and participating in the discussion via
the forum. Your help is important in shaping the future of the field
while preserving and promoting our linguistic diversity in Europe.

FURTHER INFORMATION
http://www.nactem.ac.uk/meta-net-call.php
http://www.meta-net.eu/
http://www.meta-share.eu/