[Corpora-List] UK linguistics research computing network

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 16:26:19 UTC 2011

Apologies for cross-posting, and to those of you for whom this is not
relevant. It is directly at researchers in the UK, but I hope that it
will be of interest to more of you.

The short version:

I am writing to ask if you are interested in taking part in a UK-wide
network activity to promote the development and use of shared services
in the language sciences, especially in relation to the CLARIN
initiative. Please write back saying 'yes' if you would like to be
involved as we build a network and apply for funding from a UK agency.

The background:

As you may know, CLARIN is a research infrastructure for the deployment
and use of shared language resources and tools across Europe. Over the
past three years, hundreds of developers and researchers have been
working together on this. CLARIN aims to overcome the current
fragmentation of datasets, tools and services to create much easier
access in ways integrated into the daily working environments of
researchers. We have already had success in starting to develop a
federated access and authorization system (single sign on via your home
institution to the vast variety of resources), a common framework for
licensing, conversion of tools to operate as web services, common
metadata standards for resources, a resource discovery portal, and
negotiations are under way to provide easier access to large-scale
computing resources. Much further work is now required in order to find
out more about user requirements and to ensure the participation of the
relevant research communities.

In the coming months, negotiations will start to form a European
Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC). This new type of European
legal entity will be necessary to manage and lead the effort to build
CLARIN. It will be a lightweight administrative umbrella to harness the
numerous significant programmes which are taking place at the national
level. More can be read in the newsflashes at
http://www.clarin.eu/documents/newsflash/.

Here in the UK there is a wealth of research, data and tools in the
relevant areas in the UK, and there have been some important investments
in several of the areas in which CLARIN is building services at the
European level. Unfortunately, as you may be aware, funding bodies in
the UK are not engaging with the European research infrastructure
initiatives in such an enthusiastic way as many of our European
neighbours, and the current economic climate is not conducive to
persuading them to engage in new activities. So far, no UK agency has
even identified itself as the relevant contact point for CLARIN ERIC
negotiations. This makes it difficult for us to contribute in a
systematic way to the next phase of development, and we risk being shut
out in the future from some of the services that will be developed.

However, this doesn't mean that the researchers cannot get themselves
organised to participate in CLARIN and to lobby for movement at the
national level. I therefore propose the formation of a new network to
spread information about CLARIN to relevant academic researchers and
others in the UK, to promote communication with other related
initiatives, to feed our requirements to the CLARIN design process, to
facilitate participation in CLARIN R&D activities (including access to
European funding schemes earmarked for CLARIN activities), and to
develop collaboration with the computing infrastructure. The network
would be limited to these activities, and for a specific period only -
there is no intention to set up a new long-term association or to
compete with any existing structures. I ask potential network
participants to sign up their department or centre to the following
simple propositions:

1. It would be of potential benefit to those creating, sharing, curating
and using language data and tools in the UK to be able to share their
resources via the CLARIN infrastructure;

2. It would be beneficial for the successful execution of the CLARIN
project that the knowledge, expertise and requirements of UK researchers
be represented in the design, construction and ongoing development of
the infrastructure;

3. It would be of benefit to UK researchers in linguistic and related
disciplines if the CLARIN pan-European research infrastructure services
were made available to them;

I am planning to make a proposal to a relevant scheme for a small amount
of funding to facilitate the network. Please note that the scheme won't
provide funds to cover the salary costs of network participants, only
travel and subsistence costs for meetings and events. The time
commitment that we would expect is therefore minimal. What you can
expect to get out of this are the following potential benefits:

- participation in the design process of the European research computing
infrastructure;
- support for integrating your data and tools in the infrastructure;
- support for using the infrastructure for researchers in your institution;
- travel and subsistence costs for network activities;
- enhanced dissemination opportunities for your work (dare I say,
enhanced 'impact'?) ;
- enhanced opportunities for collaboration with European partners;
- access to European funding streams for collaborative activities
relating to CLARIN;
- opportunity to participate in the lobbying of UK funding bodies in
relation to developing research infrastructure.

At this stage, I am writing to check whether you would be interested in
participating in such a network, and whether you would be prepared to be
listed as a network participant in the proposal. You will get an
opportunity to see the draft proposal and another chance to opt out
before submission. Also, if you would like to suggest other potential
participants, from other institutions or within your own, please let me
know, and likewise if you know of any related initiatives that we should
consider in framing the network grant proposal.

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Martin Wynne