[Corpora-List] Semantic primitives

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Tue Jan 18 19:31:10 UTC 2011

Hi Ken,

Recently, Yorick Wilks posted two papers on this forum.  One explained how
semantic primitives were viewed differently by each of the research groups,
none of which settled for the previous group's semantic primitives.

In the second paper on Semantic Preferences, he states his belief that many
choices of primitive sets are useful, adequate, and helpful in
characterizing semantics.

So my conclusion is that many semantic primitive sets exist, and each person
chooses (or invents) her own.

The reason semantic primitives can be expected to exist, but not be exactly
the same from person to person, is well expressed by Steven Pinker in his
book How the Mind Works:

Tooby and Cosmides point out a fundamental consequence

of sexual reproduction: every generation, each person's blueprint is
scrambled with someone else's. That means we must be qualitatively alike. If
two people's genomes had designs for different kinds of machines, like an
electric motor and a gasoline engine, the new pastiche would not specify a
working machine at all. Natural selection is a homogenizing force within a
species; it eliminates the vast majority of

macroscopic design variants because they are not improvements. Natural
selection does depend on there having been variation in the past, but it
feeds off the variation and uses it up. That is why all normal people have
the same physical organs, and why we all surely have the same

mental organs as well. There are, to be sure, microscopic variations among
people, mostly small differences in the molecule-by-molecule sequence of
many of our proteins. But at the level of functioning organs, physical and
mental, people work in the same ways. Differences among

people, for all their endless fascination to us as we live our lives, are of
minor interest when we ask how the mind works.

The differences are more pronounced than the similarities because we use
them in communication to stamp our purpose on the world.  But the people who
study odd languages have found enormous variation among the 6,000 known so
far, and culture has obvious effects on encouraging some and discouraging
others, so that the primitives may not be fully linguistic in nature.
However, as the movie title went, there will be primitives.

JMHO,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper