[Corpora-List] Primitives, semantic and otherwise

amsler at cs.utexas.edu amsler at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 19 00:13:43 UTC 2011

Primitives have a curious habit of being split into smaller units
every few decades. Chemical elements became primitives with the
creation of the periodic table of atoms, but physicists split the atom
and have continued subdividing those results. To me, the useful
properties of a set of primitives derives from their completeness
(covering all the known combinations of the next larger units) and
their organizational ability (revealing useful properties about which
combinations are possible, predicting what combinations will
occur)--rather than their indivisibility.

Theories of semantic primitives could serve many purposes (and
fields). Charles Osgood et al. created the semantic differential to
analyze connotative meaning and used factor analysis to extract
several independent dimensions of 'semantic space'. However,
connotative meaning doesn't explain denotative meaning. Primitives
there seem to call for an approach more like that of the periodic
table. Alas, our current state of knowledge there seems more akin to
alchemists trying to figure out what things are 'elemental'.

A true set of semantic primitives for denotative meaning should do
something useful, such as predict the meaning of compound nouns or
predict which compound nouns would be more likely to be used. I
suspect that isn't uniquely possible since compound nouns seem to
sometmes acquire their meanings by hapstance. I.e., some day we need a
new term for something and grab a couple of nouns and stick them
together and people accept the new term, since you have to call
something new by some new name. We could call this the discover's or
inventor's principle. You discover/create it, you get to name it.

Now, sometimes interesting things happen when the new term is
translated between languages or even within regional variations of a
language. For example, in the United States, we created 'shopping
carts' which people use in stores to load up their purchases and to
carry their purchases into the parking lot. But in British English the
word 'cart' was wrong, they use 'trolley' to mean what American
English means by a 'cart' (and likewise, American English couldn't use
'trolley' since that is reserved for, among other thing, large
bus-like vehicles, which typically run on tracks or use overhead
electrical lines for power) so for British English, 'shopping trolly'
was the correct compound.

That's revealing of underlying primitives at work. When you have to
take a perfectly reasonable compound apart because it clashes with
your society's semantics and change its words you could be showing
that the component words have different primitives in those two
variants of English. It also shows that those component words are
'alive' in the sense that they actively affect the creation/acceptance
of new compounds rather than just being historical accidents of the
past.

But it all feels like alchemy to me right now.