[Corpora-List] Primitives, semantic and otherwise

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu Jan 20 03:24:45 UTC 2011

On 1/19/2011 1:01 PM, Yorick Wilks wrote:
> All the illustrations of carts in Wikipedia are two wheeled--
> contrasting with wagons etc. which, for me, makes the choice
> of "shopping cart"in the US more interesting and mysterious.

I'm not certain about the evolution of the US shopping cart,
but I've seen intermediate forms -- a basket on two wheels,
which the shopper holds up and pulls along by a handle.
As supermarkets became bigger, the management added two more
wheels to encourage more purchases.

That would make it an example of a word sense that changed
with the technology.

John