[Corpora-List] Moving Lexical Semantics from Alchemy to Science

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sat Jan 29 14:28:02 UTC 2011

All,

Ken says:
> It would be nice if we could apply John's rules to Ted's compounds and *put
those findings into a dictionary*
> (lexicographers have only barely done so, while lexicologists need that
information).

Good news is, Dante (http://webdante.com) has done something very like this
in a v large exercise on corpus-driven lexicography for English.  It
contains 20,844 compounds, all identified automatically and confirmed and
classified by lexicographers.  Of these, 2,989 have more than one meaning.

Distribution arrangement is being finalised: it will very soon (by end Feb)
be available free for academic research (and for low prices for non-academic
research) .  At webdante.com you can already explore all words in the M-R
stretch of the alphabet.

Thank you to Justin for Pen Island and Powergen Italia (juvenile that I am)!

Adam

Adam Kilgarriff <http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/>
adam at lexmasterclass.com
Director                                    Lexical Computing
Ltd<http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>

Visiting Research Fellow                 University of
Leeds<http://leeds.ac.uk>

*Corpora for all* with the Sketch Engine <http://www.sketchengine.co.uk>

                        *DANTE: a lexical database for
English<http://www.webdante.com>