[Corpora-List] MWE extraction from a desired text

Fatemeh Torabi Asr torabiasr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 06:13:30 UTC 2011

Thanks everybody for the useful replies.

Ted, this is exactly what I needed for a preliminary experiment and so many
thanks for giving the links to those prepared lists of MWEs. I'm new in
working with collocations and it seems that hot discussions about the
extraction of different types of idioms exist out there!

There are two requirements that I would probably go for later in my
research. The first one is a method of scoring my sentences based on their
degree of idiosyncrasy. The second is a more advanced MWE extractor that is
capable of recognizing those idioms which do not necessarily appear as
sequential ngrams (e.g., "On one hand S1 On the other hand S2" or "break POS
heart").
There must be agorithms  to detect such structures with rather different
matching methods. If a candidate list of such idioms is ready out there in a
slightly different format (maybe regular expressions), then the second job
of matching them with the sentences in a desired text would be as well an
easy job (just as Martin suggested me using linux grep to do that).

Thanks Rich, no this is not what I'm going to do, though the method might be
applicable in my job as well.

Best,
Fatemeh

--