[Corpora-List] discussion on reproducibility at ACL 2011 business meeting

Ruvan Weerasinghe arw at ucsc.cmb.ac.lk
Tue Jul 5 03:07:42 UTC 2011

Thanks for the clarification Mike. What I meant was that we may be able to learn the pros and cons they experienced first hand - without going through what could be a painful experience ourselves.

I know that some of their referees actually run the code of the author against their own data to verify the results claimed! I guess that's rather extreme. Being from the two-thirds world, what I would really benefit from is free availability of data more than code (though as has been suggested, the availability of the core of the algorithm would greatly reduce the time taken to reproduce its results on our data for instance). This would also allow us to check our algorithms on other people's data and make sure that we haven't for instance 'overtrained' our models to some specific situation.

Ruvan Weerasinghe
University of Colombo School of Computing
Colombo 00700,
Sri Lanka.

Web: http://www.ucsc.lk
Phone: +94112158953; Fax: +94112587239