[Corpora-List] Reminder - CL2011 Workshop: Dealing with spelling variation in historical corpora - Call for participation

Alistair Baron a.baron at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 14:03:28 UTC 2011

A reminder for those attending the Corpus Linguistics conference in
Birmingham next week, we are running a hands-on workshop on VARD and
historical (and other) spelling variation. Whilst it is by no means
compulsory to pre-register, it will help our planning if you could send us
an email (see details below) if you intend to participate.

Thank you and apologies for the repeat message,
Alistair Baron

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

WORKSHOP:
Dealing with spelling variation in historical corpora:
Using VARD to standardise spelling variants from the EmodE period.

Corpus Linguistics 2011, Birmingham, UK - 20-22 July 2011
http://www.cl2011.org.uk/

At the upcoming Corpus Linguistics 2011 conference in Birmingham (20-22 July
2011), we will be holding a hands-on workshop titled "Dealing with spelling
variation in historical corpora: Using VARD to standardise spelling variants
from the EmodE period". The workshop will be centered around the VARD
(VARiant Detector) tool (http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/vard) and its use with
Early Modern English (EmodE) corpora. Participants will have the opportunity
to use the software to standardise spelling variation in provided texts, or,
if desired, users can bring their own texts containing spelling variation
from any source (e.g. historical, SMS or other CMC corpora). As well as a
presentation about the use of VARD in historical corpus linguistics, the
workshop will also include a presentation from Anu Lehto from the University
of Helsinki concerning the use of VARD to produce a standardised version for
the release of the Early Modern English Medical Texts (EMEMT) corpus (
http://www.helsinki.fi/varieng/CoRD/corpora/CEEM/EMEMTindex.html).

By the end of the workshop, participants will understand how to use the VARD
software to standardise spelling variants in EmodE corpora, how to export
both original and standardised versions for use in other corpus linguistic
software and how much training is required for their own corpora.
Participants will be provided with copies of our previous studies on
standardising historical corpora, a copy of the VARD software for academic
use and a user manual.

The workshop will be part of the Corpus Linguistics 2011 conference (
http://www.cl2011.org.uk/) and anybody interested in attending the workshop
is required to be registered to attend the main conference. The workshop
will be two hours in length, with the preliminary programme indicating a
start of 4pm on Wednesday 20th July.

We are asking anybody wishing to attend the workshop to pre-register to
allow us to plan for numbers and equipment. As there are no computer labs
available at the conference venue, participants are asked to bring their own
laptops where possible. To express your interest in the workshop, please
email Alistair Baron:

a.baron at comp.lancs.ac.uk

with the following details:

Name
Affiliation
Are you able to bring your own laptop?
Bibliographical details of own text - and corpus details, if part of a
corpus (only necessary if bringing data with you).

Please feel free to circulate this call for participation to anybody who may
be interested. We apologise for any cross-postings.

Alistair Baron, Paul Rayson, Dawn Archer
Workshop organisers

--
Alistair Baron
Research Associate