[Corpora-List] Which test is suitable

Christer Johansson christer.johansson at uib.no
Mon Jul 18 12:55:24 UTC 2011

Before we get carried away, let's just do the exercise of calculating chisq.test and cramer's phi for effect size.
I will use R for the analysis. The package for the effect size (cramer.r) was written by Gard Jenset.

The date provided by Krishnamurthy (from google) gives a matrix (reservation for typos):

> x <- matrix(c(223000000,1290000000,738000,10800000), ncol = 2, dimnames = list(c("ceiling", "piece"), c("correct", "reversed")))
         correct reversed
ceiling 2.23e+08   738000
piece   1.29e+09 10800000

% analyze this:
> chisq.test(x)

	Pearson's Chi-squared test with Yates' continuity correction

data:  x
X-squared = 636454.7, df = 1, p-value < 2.2e-16

% i.e. Highly significant (because we have an incredible number of observations)
% Is it worth bothering about?

> source(file.choose())  % this is where to load "cramer.r"
[1] Usage: cv.test(matrix)
> cv.test(x)

 Effect size for contingency tables