[Corpora-List] Just for fun - collecting a small lexicon of favorite not-yet-exported Americanisms

Dominic Widdows widdows at google.com
Sat Jul 23 21:05:33 UTC 2011

Dear All,

This is a frivolous side project mainly for people with experience of
English on both sides of the Atlantic. Please contribute your favorite words
and phrases that are peculiar to North American English in comments at
http://puttypeg.blogspot.com/2011/07/please-contribute-your-favourite.html

Backstory: as many of you will know, the BBC recently published a
user-contributed list of "most hated Americanisms". Not impressded: it's
ignorant, bigoted and prescriptivist (at least one of which is a heinous
misdemeanor on the corpora list!) The Economist has already published a good
debunking. Still, better than moaning, I thought it would be much more fun
to get together a list of those words and phrases that North America enjoys
and Britain still lacks - hence the link above.

Please add your favorite North American words if you can think of any, and
if we get enough good ones perhaps it'll be worth posting them to Auntie
back in Blighty!
Best wishes,
Dominic