[Corpora-List] Where can I find a English for Children corpus?

Michael Israel michael.israel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 13:46:44 UTC 2011

Nathan,

You may be right that children's English is not itself the best input for
children learning English, but  CHILDES includes many transcripts from
in-depth longitudinal studies of acquisition, and these include both what
the children say, and what is said to them. Indeed, in many transcripts the
majority of words spoken come from adults and are directed to children.
There is also a great deal of research based on this data showing that the
words and grammatical constructions which children learn are in many (but
not all) respects highly correlated with the frequency with these occur in
the spoken input that the children hear. So, CHILDES might be more relevant
than you think.

regards,
Michael