[Corpora-List] looking for spacial metaphors

Ilze Black black at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu May 5 21:36:19 UTC 2011

Dear List,

I am a PhD student and quite new to this list but I hope you dont mind
me asking for help here. I have just started my research on spacial
perception of the Internet. In my initial phase I am trying to establish
if there are any relevant study been done on a similar questions and in
particular on any spacial metaphors. In English we often say 'on' the
Internet, while in Latvia, for example, they say 'in' the Internet. What
drives these linguistic metaphors? May be someone has some suggestion on
previous ethnographic studies, method I am thinking to use. Or other
methodology or models I should look at? Does anyone has any thoughts on
this? I am also looking to collect spacial metaphors used of the
Internet space in different languages. Would love to hear your thoughts,
suggestions and metaphors.
Thank you in advance and looking forward to hear.

Ilze Black
black at eecs.qmul.ac.uk