[Corpora-List] Significance tests for n-fold cross validation

Emad Mohamed emohamed at umail.iu.edu
Sun May 8 19:28:48 UTC 2011

Dear Corpora Listers,

I have run a number of POS tagging experiments in a 5 fold cross validation
setting. Imagine the results of the 5 folds (in terms of accuracy) are these
fictitious numbers:

93.4%    93.7%     92.9%     93%    93.1%

I then added feature x to the feature set, which gave the following results:

93.7%  94%       92.7%       93.2%   93.4%

My question is: Do I need to use any significance test to show  that adding
feature x really helps? if no, why not? and if yes, what are the appropriate
tests in such a case?

Thank you in anticipation

--
Emad Soliman Ali Mohamed