[Corpora-List] Amazon MapReduce instructions for a simple java functionality

Siddhartha Jonnalagadda sid.kgp at gmail.com
Wed May 25 21:58:18 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Thanks for confirming that MapReduce is the way to go and the tutorials! I
was trying to go through some of the tutorials, but they lack specific
details about using a java project. So, I changed my question. Please excuse
me if you consider this discussion inappropriate for this list and ignore
the rest. I thought this is a problem that most of us would be facing. Java
is the most popular language for NLP (
http://nlpers.blogspot.com/2009/03/programming-language-of-choice.html) and
we all need to map to clusters and reduce our processing. Further, Amazon
servers is the way to go for many that don't have access to personal HPC
clusters.

Wondering if someone could help me with precise instructions to use Amazon
MapReduce for the simple java program below? It has one class that takes an
input, has a dictionary and produces an output. (Basically whatever is in
input, if it is present in dictionary) I would use that as a template for my
java application. I need mapreduce I want to decrease the time taken for a
complex application by n-fold.

I'm kind of lost trying to learn different things. It is easier to do it the
other way, I guess. Someone, please?

Here is the tested code:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6777654/Simple.zip

I greatly appreciate you spending 5-10 minutes in giving simple instructions
that a java programmer with knowledge of MapReduce and familiarity with
Amazon servers could use.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Siddhartha Jonnalagadda,
Text mining Researcher, Lnx Research, LLC, Orange, CA
sjonnalagadda.wordpress.com

Confidentiality Notice:

by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.