[Corpora-List] why LREC2012 NOT blind-reviewed?

Yorick Wilks Y.Wilks at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Sun Oct 2 18:10:06 UTC 2011

I think one element in this issue, but not one that has been mentioned so far, to my knowledge, is that:

"I don't think anyone here is ignorant of the fact that reviewers are just peers".

is not strictly true--at least in the US--where it is quite normal for busy professors to delegate such reviews to grad students.This has, i believe, had a profound effect on reviewing culture, though Im not sure what side it tells on in the anonymity of reviews/authors disputes we have been enjoying. These students often give a lot of time to these reviews as they want to win brownie points (from their advisors) but, on the down side, they tend to know only thew locally approved NLP/CL theories and know nothing of the background of the subject beyond what is taught in their institution.

Alas, i have no positive suggestion to make about the relevance of this observation, even assuming it to be true and I, like all of us, have profited greatly over the years from thoughtful, constructive albeit critical reviews.
Yorick Wilks