[Corpora-List] why LREC2012 NOT blind-reviewed?

Alon Lischinsky alon.lischinsky at kultmed.umu.se
Mon Oct 3 14:12:33 UTC 2011

On 2011/10/3 Ted Pedersen <tpederse at d.umn.edu> wrote:

> I would like to suggest that maybe we ought to ask people who submit papers
> to provide the answers to the following two questions (separate from their
> papers) in an effort to streamline the process.
> 1) What is the most important idea presented in this submission (in 50 words
> or less)
> 2) What other paper is most similar to this submission, and how does this
> paper improve upon or extend that? (in 100 words or less)

Not a bad idea altogether. In some disciplines (e.g., organisation
studies) many journals ask for a structured abstract, one of whose
items is precisely describing the specific contribution of the paper.
I think something along these lines can be a useful idea.

> Incremental in the area you care most about can be fascinating
> stuff, so I don't think incremental is always a bad thing, but there also
> needs to be a balance between the incremental and the more novel. As a
> reviewer I feel like I spend huge amounts of time on incremental work, and
> it just gets a little dull to be honest...

I have exactly the opposite feeling: too many people trying to do
'something new', perhaps because of the appeal of 'radicalism' as
described by Yves Gingras, too few doing the dull and unrewarded tasks
of replication and operational refinement that are necessary to a
mature discipline. If a method is to be used with little reflection,
as it often is when a discipline has developed its analytic
repertoire, it should be as foolproof as possible; however, bugs only
become shallow when there's a community engaged in repeated testing. I
have long had the feeling that we need more hackers, in the strict
sense, doing linguistics. Now that I think of it, I think it's very
clear that we, as a discipline, do not reward the kind of tasks that
hacking normally consists of.

Cheers,

A.