[Corpora-List] why LREC2012 NOT blind-reviewed?

Michal Ptaszynski ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp
Thu Oct 6 15:30:38 UTC 2011

Ladies and Gents,

This fantastic reviewing-ralated topic has been probably the most active
one for some time. It looks like most of Corpora members put their 2 cents
into the bag. The bag seems now quite heavy and shows somewhat big
potential to turn it into something creative.

My question/proposition is,

How about working out a better reviewing system than the present double
blind reviewing?

It could actually change something for the better, and since most of us
took an active part in the discussion we probably have some ideas.

To give a good start let me say my bunch of ideas.

- Field assessment before reviewing. Something that has been implemented
in easychair and several other systems to some extent. A reviewer selects
her fields of expertise to give the conference organizers a hint on what
papers he/she could review with the highest confidence.
- Make blinding a choice. Some researchers want to be anonymous, and some
want to use their previous research, but don't want to describe their
previous works too extensively (saving paper space).
- Discussion between authors and reviewers. For conferences there could be
too short time span for double rebuttal, but for journals there could be
allowed a longer open discussion. Its sometimes difficult to convince a
reviewer only in one rebuttal session.
- Using NLP technology to help reviewers and authors. Automatic
summarization, credibility verification of infromation contained in a
paper - for the reviewers, and for the other side (or both), opinion
mining/sentiment analysis of all other reviews of the paper (comparing
reviews) and of all reviews of one reviewer (is he/she an understanding,
tolerant reviewer or an innocent bunny killer?)

Let me know about your ideas.

Michal