[Corpora-List] Bootstrap in linguistics

Jin-Dong Kim jdkim at dbcls.rois.ac.jp
Fri Oct 14 08:09:20 UTC 2011

Dear Chris,

I am not sure if you consider it as a corpus linguistics study, but
bootstrap resampling techniques were indeed used in this work:

@article{Sang:2002:MSP:944790.944818,
 author = {Sang, Erik F. Tjong Kim},
 title = {Memory-based shallow parsing},
 journal = {J. Mach. Learn. Res.},
 volume = {2},
 month = {March},
 year = {2002},
 issn = {1532-4435},
 pages = {559--594},
 numpages = {36},
 url = {http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=944790.944818},
 acmid = {944818},
 publisher = {JMLR.org},
 keywords = {feature selection, memory-based learning, shallow
parsing, system combination},
}

Hope it helps.

Best,

Jin-Dong

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM,  <CRuehlemann at aol.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> It is not uncommon in quantitative corpus linguistic studies that a
> significance test cannot be performed either because one cannot juxtapose
> the distribution of a variable against the distribution of another
> comparable variable or against a specific distribution (e.g. normal
> distribution, exponential, etc.) or against an a priory stipulated value. To
> nonetheless assess whether the distribution in the sample is simply due to
> chance or a reflection of the true distribution in the population,
> statisticians often use the bootstrap method. This method is a resampling
> method: from the sample, a large number of resamples are drawn randomly and
> with replacement.
>

> Is anyone aware of any (corpus) linguistic study/studies which has/have used
> this method?
>

> Many thanks in advance
>

> Chris

Jin-Dong Kim, Ph.D,
Project Associate Professor,
Database Center for Life Science (DBCLS),
Research Organization of Information and Systems (ROIS)
home: http://dbcls.rois.ac.jp/~jdkim
e-mail: jdkim at dbcls.rois.ac.jp