[Corpora-List] publishing lists of accepted and rejected papers -side remark

Paula Newman paulan at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 15 17:48:14 UTC 2011

Robert,

Re:
> >> "John F. Sowa"  15/10/11 6:25 AM >>>
> >> Some people, especially women and younger researchers, may be rather
timid about submitting a paper to a prestigious conference or journal for
the very first time.

>> "Charlotte Taylor"
> > May I timidly point out that I find that offensive?
>
> "Robert Zimbardo"
>Since when is mentioning a correlation that
> has been perceived by individual people and backed up by only a few
> decades of research (with of course many other variables involved as
> well) offensive, especially when John phrased it as a hypothesis
> (using "may")? I am not even saying he's right or wrong (because I
> don't have any data on this myself), but I am concerned that the
> overall PC gagging order does not even allow his type of stating a
> possibility anymore ...

Thank you.  While I was mulling  how to say this (including the PC part)
you wrote it.  There's even something called the "imposter syndrome" that
is said to affect some women who have risen to totally deserved positions
of prominence.

Also, I'm sure that anyone who has worked with John, as I have, would
assume that his comment stems purely from concerns about fairness and
opportunity.

Paula