[Corpora-List] why LREC2012 NOT blind-reviewed?

amsler at cs.utexas.edu amsler at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 16 01:33:53 UTC 2011

I too was thinking of this. I.e., with so much dissatisfaction over
the limitations of reviewing procedures why not let the world have
access to everything and vote on whether they like it or not. The
primary reason against this is presumably the need for papers as
fodder for tenure reviews--and hence the ranking of where papers are
published as one of the criteria determining how much their
publication is worth. Books > journals > conference papers > posters,
etc. where online publication without the requirement of reviewer
acceptance would come in dead last.

And one other note. One way to improve reviews, when a given reviewer
is given a stack of papers to review, would be to have them rank the
papers from best to worst. Ranks provide much more information than
yes/no votes and sets of ranks can be computationally merged to arrive
at decisions not possible from appprove/disapprove votes. It has been
proven that if our elections were done this way, we'd be able to tap
more of what people felt about candidates than the current scheme of
having qualifying and run-off elections. More of the (I like X most,
but if X couldn't win, I'd prefer Y over Z to win).