[Corpora-List] Enough already

Alon Lischinsky alischinsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 07:45:08 UTC 2011

On 2011/10/23 John F. Sowa <sowa at bestweb.net> wrote:

>> My final suggestion: journals/conferences should upload all papers to
>> the internet in 2 sections: a) submitted b) submitted and
>> accepted/published
>
> My final comment:  No.
>
> Many journals require unpublished papers.  Uploading everything
> to the WWW would be equivalent to publishing the rejected papers
> and thereby making them ineligible for other publications.

Early versions of many papers that eventually find their way to
journals were previously published online as working papers or tech
reports. I don't see how Ramesh's suggestion is so different from
that.

Besides, many comments seem to take the current practices of journals,
reviewers and tenure committees as an immutable given. While there is
a considerable amount of institutional inertia in academia, there is
no reason to believe that change is impossible-- especially in the
light of growing dissatisfaction with the efficiency and fairness of
the current system. Seringhaus & Gerstein's 2006 _The Death of the
Scientific Paper_ is a useful introduction to the technical
shortcomings of the article format; the political ones have been
sketched in the previous discussion, and I won't go over them again
here.

A.