[Corpora-List] Call for participation: Supporting Digital Humanities 2011, Copenhagen

Steven Krauwer s.krauwer at uu.nl
Thu Oct 27 13:05:45 UTC 2011

Call for Participation:

Supporting Digital Humanities 2011 (SDH2011):
         Answering the unaskable

       Copenhagen, 17-18 November 2011

   The draft programme is now available on
     http://cst.ku.dk/sdh2011/programme/

Following up on the success of the first SDH conference, held in
Vienna in 2010, the CLARIN <http://www.clarin.eu/> and DARIAH
<http://www.dariah.eu/> initiatives have decided to jointly
organise the second SDH conference, to be held 17-18 November
2011 at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Digital technologies have the potential to transform the types of
research questions that we ask in the Humanities, allowing us
both to address traditional questions in new and exciting ways
but also to answer questions that we were not even aware we could
ask - hence the title of this conference. How can digital
humanities help us not just to find the answers to our research
questions more quickly and more easily, but also to formulate
research questions we would never have been able to ask without
access to large quantities of digital data and sophisticated
tools for their analysis? /Supporting Digital Humanities/ will be
a forum for the discussion of these innovations, and of the ways
in which these new forms of research can be facilitated and
supported.

On the website you will also find the list of accepted papers and
other useful information.

The invited speaker will be professor Syun Tutiya, formerly
professor at Chiba University, Japan.

Professor Tutiya is currently professor at the National
Institution for Academic Degrees and University Evaluation,
Visiting Professor, National Center for University Entrance
Examination, Visiting Professor, National Institute of
Informatics, and last but not least, Program Officer, Research
Center, Japan Foundation for the Promotion of Science. Professor
Tutiya will describe the digital humanities strategies in Japan,
as well as some of his own work in the field.

We look forward to seeing you in Copenhagen

Best wishes

Bente Maegaard