[Corpora-List] Frequency of the pronoun I

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Thu Sep 15 17:28:58 UTC 2011

Dear Mike,

True, but aren't those kinds of corpora very rare?
Most corpora will have "the" somewhere, and only
lists (as your example) and other extreme outlier
corpora will not have it.

One alternative that was suggested earlier
(1+count(I))/(1+count(the)) could avoid the divide
by zero for those corpora, but I prefer the
absolute count X to the relative one (1+X) since
it doesn't vary in range depending on the total
number of words in a corpus.  Small corpora (e.g.
a single patent claim sentence of 30 words) could
be skewed arbitrarily much by the 1+ solution.

Perhaps another more multidimensional solutions
would be something like (I + You + your + yours +
we + our + ours + they + their + theirs + he + his
+ him + she + hers + her) / (a + the) might be
also useful if we take some samples of various
corpora types and find clusters in the plane of
those metrics.

Even the objective (it + its) ratio with the other
pronouns might be a useful predictor.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper