[Corpora-List] Frequency of the pronoun I

Pace-Sigge, Michael scouse at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 09:14:26 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,
I find the figures quoted in the article pretty astonishing, too.
The most colloquial and chatty spoken corpus I have is the Liverpool Speakers' corpus - and in 119,000 words, I appears 2721 times, almost the same as THE  with 2700 times. The Macmillan Dictionary Spoken subcorpus does fit the into the pattern set by other corpora: THE - 36,517 times, I - 189,823 times (out of 7.5 million words total).
I have also a (very raw) spoken English corpus with 323+ million words (which include a lot of children's and teenage talk) and there, still THE occurs 622,783 times and I only 426,533 times.

Michael

Dr. Michael Pace-Sigge
School of English
University of Liverpool