[Corpora-List] Active vs Passive voice

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Tue Sep 20 00:41:58 UTC 2011

G'day,

This may be overkill, bu you can parse text with a parser such as the ERG (
http://erg.delph-in.net/logon) and then passive verbs will be marked as the
first argument of parg_d (ARG1) in the semantics.  Alternatively, you can
see if the verb went through a passive lexical rule (v_pas_*lr) in the parse
tree (you can see this online by hovering over the second V node above the
verb.

The parser used here (PET) and the grammar (ERG) are both available (linked
from the demo page) with the full source.

http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/PetTop
http://www.delph-in.net/erg/

On 20 September 2011 05:19, iain <iain at idcl.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to resources on active vs. passive voice detection?***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> There seem to be simple patterns which would detect many passives (noun –
> be - past participle or something like that), but I’m wondering if there’s
> any work done (or better yet source code available!) on more general
> detection?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Iain****
>
> ** **
>
> [image: Description: iain-downs-logo]****
>
> ** **
>
> 01423 872988  -  http://www.idcl.co.uk****
>
> ** **
>
> Iain Downs Consulting Limited is registered in the UK with number 329446**
> **
>
> at The Old Coachhouse, Rear Eastville Terrace, Harrogate HG1 4HJ****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
Nanyang Technological University