[Corpora-List] foreign words in German

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu Sep 29 12:48:30 UTC 2011

Chris B:
>> If, as I suspect, you are saying that rankings may
>> be inconsistent even within a single speaker, then that would
>> suggest that the speaker has a richer representation than a single
>> number associated with a notion of 'foreignness".

Alon L:
> Well, that's true, but I don't think any theoretical representations
> are as rich as speakers' internalised ones.  We have yet to
> parsimoniously model the reason why 'strong' goes with 'coffee' and
> 'powerful' with 'engine'.

Psychological and neurological studies show that the total amount of
information stored in the human brain is enormous.  Some people have
a fantastic "autobiographical" memory, which enables them to recall
every day of their lives in vivid detail.  Following is a transcript
of a segment from "60 Minutes" on CBS:

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/16/60minutes/main7156877.shtml

Most people don't have that kind of recall, but their brains are
probably capable of storing the same amount of information, but
organized in different ways.

Those studies suggest that any kind of "parsimonious" models or
representations are grossly inaccurate approximations to what the
human brain actually does in memory, reasoning, and language. Since
our computers have huge capacities compared to older models, we
should consider representations and algorithms that can organize,
store, recall, and process large volumes of data -- not just
statistical summaries or annotated markups of the data.

John