[Corpora-List] Corpora suitable for studying VP ellipsis

Matthew Gerber gerberm2 at msu.edu
Fri Apr 13 02:37:43 UTC 2012

Alan,

Just in case you haven't seen it, Nielsen wrote a dissertation on this
subject. It appears to be corpus based, so maybe he knows of a good
resource:

@PHDTHESIS{nielsen2005corpus,
  author = {Leif Arda Nielsen},
  title = {A corpus-based study of Verb Phrase Ellipsis Identification
and Resolution},
  school = {King's College},
  year = {2005},
}

I did some work on resolving "implicit" arguments for nominal
predicates - conceptually similar to VP ellipsis:

@INPROCEEDINGS{gerber2010beyond,
  author = {Gerber, Matthew and Chai, Joyce},
  title = {Beyond {NomBank}: A Study of Implicit Arguments for Nominal
Predicates},
  booktitle = {Proceedings of the 48th Annual Meeting of the
Association for Computational Linguistics},
  year = {2010},
  pages = {1583--1592},
  address = {Uppsala, Sweden},
  month = {July},
  publisher = {Association for Computational Linguistics},
  url = {http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/P10-1160}
}

Cheers,
Matt