[Corpora-List] Alternatives to the Bing search API

Will Helton wmhelton at gmx.com
Fri Apr 13 10:32:38 UTC 2012

I'm new to this list, corpora linguistics and BootCat, so am very sad to hear that Bing will be withdrawing its free API service.

I've never heard of Blekko (thanks, Daniele, for pointing it out) and so did a quick search on a possible API.

The info I found here is somewhat encouraging:

http://petewarden.typepad.com/searchbrowser/2011/01/discover-public-data-with-the-data-source-handbook.html

"To obtain an API key, email apiauth at blekko.com. Their terms of service are available at https://blekko.com/ws/+/terms, and while they’re somewhat restrictive, they are flexible in practice:
You should note that it prohibits practically all interesting uses of the blekko API. We are not currently issuing formal written authorization to do things prohibited in the agreement, but, if you are well behaved (e.g. not flooding us with queries), and we know your email address (from when you applied for an API auth key, see above), we will have the ability to attempt to contact you and discuss your usage patterns if needed."

Hopefully a good alternative.

Regards,

Will