[Corpora-List] New Member Introduction

Will Helton wmhelton at gmx.com
Wed Apr 18 07:59:41 UTC 2012

Hello to all,

I'm new to this list and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Will and I'm a freelance translator who has recently become interested in aspects of corpus linguistics.

I am currently trying to bring myself up to speed by reading background information on corpus linguistics and the types of work and statistical testing that go into it. I am, however, finding it a bit daunting and would appreciate it if some of you would contact me off list to suggest good starting points for reading.

I've purchased a copy of "Corpus Linguistics: An Introduction" by Tony McEnerny and Andrew Wilson and have been reviewing the coursework outline here:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bergen/corpus/

If any of your are Mac users and happen to use Yasu Imao's excellent program CasualConc (http://sites.google.com/site/casualconc/download), please do get in touch as my lack of familiarity at this stage with chi-square and Fisher's exact tests (among others) is preventing me from getting the most out of this application.

Thanks for reading and I hope members will be in touch with some good suggestions for getting started and learning more.

Best regards,

Will