[Corpora-List] Comparing n-grams / authorship

Khalid CHOUKRI choukri at elda.org
Wed Apr 18 08:05:58 UTC 2012

Hi Mark

I am sure you are aware of the work conducted within the CLEF project
(Cross-Language Evaluation Forum)
A large part of the evaluation is about Authorship and addresses this
from various angles (Plagiarism, "Vandalism", Authorship
identification/attribution, etc.)
see details of the PAN lab at:
http://clef2011.org/index.php?page=pages/labs_program.html

Hope this helps

Khalid

Justin Washtell wrote, On 17/04/2012 23:17:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Statistics such as Log-Likelihood (see http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/llwizard.html), can give an indication of how significant are differences in observed freqeuencies of events.
>
> These sorts of statistics assume a null-hypothesis in which everyhing is entirely random or unrelated, outside of which things are considered to be "significant". You need to be careful with this. Often in reality - as in your case I think - what you are looking for is actually more subtle.
>
> For example, I would suggest that you will at least want to look at similar n-gram statistics derived from all other pairwise combinations of chapters in your particular corpus, to establish whether what is observed between A and B is somehow "special" in your case.
>
> Also, I imagine the observed frequencies of those lower order n-grams which constitute your longer n-grams will have a bearing on how remarkable the figures are before you even start looking at the relative differences. For getting a handle on that, the language modelling literature may be useful.
>
> Sorry I can not be more specific. I'm not a statistician :-)
>
> Justin Washtell
> University of Leeds

*Khalid Choukri *
ELRA General secretary & ELDA CEO
email: choukri at elda.org;
Web: www.elra.info www.elda.org
Tel. +33 1 43 13 33 33 - Fax. +33 1 43 13 33 30

** Info on LREC 2012 : www.lrec-conf.org