[Corpora-List] Which math.statistics criteria t-test or chi-squared?

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 14:33:11 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 06:28 AM, Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:
> Dear Corpora members, I wonder if you could advise me which math.
> statistics criteria is more reliable to state the difference between
> two samples, that is, t-test or chi-square? I used t-test to see the
> difference in the occurrence of all colours in the texts of 26 British
> and American writers. Should I also use the chi-square criterion to
> substantiate the difference between two samples or t-test is reliable
> enough? Looking forward to hearing from you to yutamb at mail.ru
> <mailto:yutamb at mail.ru>  Remain yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev,
> Novosibirsk, Russia

     Good question, Yuri!  T-test and ?-square are only used for
measuring the reliability of samples  If you're using the entire
collected works of these writers (or some well-defined subset), and not
a sample, then you don't need either of those.

     You're probably looking for some measure of effect size:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_size

--
Angus B. Grieve-Smith
grvsmth at panix.com